Facebook versus Twitter And Our Use of Social Media

Most Fundamentalist Mormons we grew up with have a healthy dose of paranoia and suspicion of media, the government, and institutions in general.  This is for good reason because in our past we have seen our people prosecuted and persecuted by government authorities, and the media often fail to report fairly on our culture or our history.  So within that context we often judge political views and certainly how we view the internet and social media.

The government continues to expand its power, seeking the same access it had for internet providers and email users now to Facebook and Twitter. Yet in our opinion, when any organization has so much information and power over you, the opportunity for an abuse of that power is worth being cautious against.

We use this blog, rely on Google to spread our message, as well as syncing with our Facebook page, and regular posting on Twitter, @TheDargerFamily.  It is a lot of work to keep up, but it is also nice to be able to get a voice out there for those who choose to hear. Our favorite medium is this blog. It is the most revealing and personal. But for real time interaction, other forms of social media have become an important tool of communication with our friends, fans and those receptive to our message of faith, family and freedom.

When comparing Facebook to Twitter, it seems like the story of the tortoise and the hare. It is the arrogant hare who loses a race to a slow tortoise. In the end, the tortoise beats the hare because it followed the mantra slow and steady will always win the race.

Facebook looks like the swift and cunning hare, Twitter the leisurely and careful tortoise. This race is not about speed, but about longevity, and it is one that is tied to trust.

To run so quickly, Facebook exploded because it collected endless amounts of data about its users. It often did so in ways that have caused us concern about privacy and the implications of personal data used by others. Again and again, Facebook pushed the boundaries of people’s privacy by making things public that had once been declared private on its site. It continually opted people into new features that clearly overstepped the company’s original privacy agreements.

As a result, Facebook users must navigate carefully. A recent CNBC poll found that “59 percent of respondents said that they had little to no trust in Facebook to keep their information private.” Now they are about to launch an IPO to grow even greater, as they continue to collect money from the information they have gathered from all of us.

Twitter, on the other hand, has taken an different approach. The company has never made its users’ private information public when it has introduced new features. Unlike Facebook, Twitter has not endlessly changed its privacy policy. Users of the site trust Twitter more.

The difference between the two companies’ approaches to privacy is evident with product introductions. For example, recently, Twitter introduced a feature that is intended to improve suggestions of whom to follow on the service. To make the new service work, Twitter needs to do some snooping. Did privacy groups come out and berate Twitter for its actions? No. The government even commended Twitter’s ability to let people opt out of the new feature.

Twitter is not perfect. They’ve had some bad history, specifically with security. In the early days of the service, it was repeatedly hacked, putting users’ information at risk. Just recently a virus attacked our account and when we opened it, it sent direct messages to others.  But the difference between the two in regards to security still remains.

In the long run, people will trust Twitter more than they do Facebook. And when it comes to building a long-term, trusting relationship with its users, Twitter will take it slowly and steadily, and in doing so, I think it will continue in growth. Facebook still serves an important function. But there are several companies in development to challenge Facebook that wont compromise privacy, and my bet is in the long term if people can get the convenience and keep security, they will.

I was resistant to Twitter at first, as I was to Facebook. I probably would not have used Twitter at all if we had not published our book, and would have used Facebook on a limited basis. But I discovered Twitter has become my personal news service, and I like the real time interaction of it. In addition, who can deny the power of Facebook to connect people. It continues to amaze me how connected the human race really is.

Twitter even has a search service. It can protect you from the prying eyes of Google as well. For information I recommend this blog here.

Recently, Alina started getting into Pinterest as well. With her love of design you can follow her at Alina Darger. Pinterest is growing so quickly that it is now one of the top sites on the net. If there is one thing constant, it is change. We appreciate the opportunity to communicate, and look forward to your feedback and ways we can continue to educate, inform and interact with you.

We hope you will continue to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and share us with your friends. Also that in the end what we have to say adds value to your life.

This entry was posted in Polygamy, Product Reviews, Random Thoughts. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Facebook versus Twitter And Our Use of Social Media

1. Angel says:

You definitely have to be careful on facebook! When they changed their privacy policy I removed myself until they changed it back again. I have thought about permanently getting off facebook…..but I am still her for some reason , haha! I am glad that you guys are educating the public. In general our society needs to be more tolerant, less judgemental, and more accepting!

2. Isa says:

I’ve never used twitter because I can’t figure it out-no youngsters to show me. I LOVED Facebook, but got quite paranoid after a while, and have changed profiles, removed a lot, and don’t show my face-which is pretty good unless you’re trying to promote a book or business…so it has it’s ups and downs.
    I won’t create a Pinterest account because they want me to use my Facebook account, and darn-it, I just don’t WANT everything LINKED!
    And Gmail is another one of those “doubt if it’s private” things. Sometimes I get ads for things my niece and I have discussed in emails! How creepy is that.
    I guess it all boils down to having “work accounts” and personal ones, and keeping a tight rein over personal info ANYWHERE on the web. Even small companies get bought out, and suddenly everything’s no longer private.
    Phone calls are still good though! And face to face is better. I REALLY do think that all of us have gotten so stuck in our little boxes of technology that we forget to interact!

3. imani says:

I did a continuing education credit for nursing on this whole topic of Facebook and what i learned was amazing. After reading how intrusive Facebook was i deactivated my account. It had also become addictive. I recently reactivated my account with Facebook which they make very easy to do. None of my information was lost. That is both bad and good. I did make quite a few changes though. I deleted a lot of information in my profile, such as: religion, political affiliation, books of interest, age, number of children, education profile, occupation, email address, contact information, changed divorce status to single, removed sexual preference, and i am going to remove the photo of myself with two of my kids in my home. I based what i decided to remove on what any future employer might see including music preference. After doing this continuing education credit about Facebook, i found out that many hiring managers use your Facebook account as a screening tool. My political, religious views, my race, gender, age, single, married, divorced, political affiliation, is of no consequence to a future hiring manager. These disclosures are protected in our civil rights. And i never had many “Facebook friends.” If they can’t judge me based on my resume, school record, background check for a criminal record, references and an interview, then i don’t need to work for that company.

4. imani says:

I was wondering whether your family was the impetus behind the reality show: Sister Wives? I have read that your family was what inspired the fictional show on HBO. I was wondering whether Kody Brown and family was inspired by this family. I don’t think Kody Brown has ever referenced either this family or the show on HBO that was inspired by them. And since this family has also gone public i wonder why they did not feel the need to run, leave their hometown and relocate? The Browns presented it as thought the police were on their heels ready to arrest Kody and all his wives. In my opinion a lot of that was done for the show. I don’t think they had to relocate to sin city. He caused all his working wives to lose their jobs including Robyn the newest wife, who had to be employed because she was a single mother. In addition her son is autistic so he must have been in a special needs school. I think there plan all along was to use the monies from their reality show to open multiple family businesses: gyms, jewelry, real estate etc. And for some reason Las Vegas offered them these opportunities. In addition with all the infighting and the disgruntled teenagers the worst in polygamous family is brought out. None of them seem to be happy at all. And the children are the most victimized and i wonder are they having trust funds set up because the monies received from their show belongs to those children as well. I hope the show goes off the air. It portrays pleural marriage in the worst possible light.

We got to know the Brown’s through our work in Principle Voices. They were part of a different religious community so we did not know them well. We did not inspire them for the show per se, but our involvement politically did make a difference in I think influencing them into wanting to do the same. They had the idea for a reality show however. We don’t have TV so we don’t follow them that close and have had little contact with them since they left town. Our sons played the music at Robyn’s wedding and we had some contact with them before. I am sure that TLC has wanted to exploit them leaving and their lawsuit, but to their credit they have refused to talk about it on air from what I understand. When we talked to them before leaving the fear was real. The state would not say they would not prosecute them and had an ongoing investigation, (what I am not sure as they are what you see on TV to me). The cost of the moving to Las Vegas has been great and disruptive to their lives. I don’t think the show pays much given what we have been offered from various sources and with no jobs I am sure they are dependent on it now for money; so I think they are trying to do a lot to get money. Again, we don’t know much about the current situation nor have we watched recent episodes of the show, so I don’t know if they portray it good or not, but I can say they are a sincere family. They picked one of the most difficult times to go on air while adding another wife to the family. I don’t think we would have ever been that brave, or some may say foolish enough, to do that. It is a very difficult thing to do. When Valerie came into my family, we were in adjustment period for awhile and it was painful on all of us, kids especially, I can’t imagine having it on camera.

Thank you for sharing though.

5. Shannon Kristensen says:

Hello from Denmark again…

I was also wondering what you thought of the Browns and their show… I have to admit I’m a religious follower of the show and download it every week. Thank you for sharing your point of view. I have no doubt that with all the uproar over the lawsuit and the blending of the families, that it has been incredibly hard for them. I think they have handled being in the public eye with grace. Frankly, I admire all of you. Especially for having the courage to stand up for what you believe in. I’m not sure I would have the strength to put my life on public display or under a microscope. Not that my life is all that exciting… hehehe.
    Hope all is well and God Bless…
    Shannon

P.S. Still waiting impatiently for my book to arrive. Post from the US to Denmark is so slow. Really puts a rip in my day when I’m craving a snack from home… Oreos never make it in one piece and Reese’s Cups are always in a funky state… :-)

6. Liz says:

Okay, wait a sec–Joe, you just said that Valerie’s entrance into your family was “painful” on all you. How do you mean, “painful”? :(

We discuss her addition quite candidly in our book, Love Times Three. Anyone that has ever brought step children into a family could relate the the pain and adjustment period that takes place. Ultimately it is the love for one another that get you through it. But you have different personalities, jealousies, needs and wants thrown into the mix which challenge everyone on. Of course the joy far out weights the pain or we would not have survived. But having your painful emotional moments put on air to be bantered about in public is never easy, in monogamy or polygamy.

• Liz says:

Ah, gotcha. Thank you very much, Joe, for the clarification. I’m going to the library to borrow your book today. Oh, and I’m totally hooked on your family. In a good way, that is. :)

7. john Nomads says:

Your right about the double edged sword of social media. I’ve been very careful to not let my screen name be linked with my real persona. Almost all of my friends use screen names when on line (we have a common interest and a forum where we meet), and even when we do meet in person, our screen names suffice. Anyone who uses their real given name, and personal info is asking for trouble.

8. Paweł Szulik says:

Greeting from Poland for all The Dargers.

I just wanted to communicate I’m grateful that you’ve a Facebook account. I ‘met’ you on Youtube.com and then tried to find you on Facebook. When I did it, I found Joe and had an opportunity to share some e-mails, which I am thankful for. I hope someday it’ll be possible to meet you in reality.

9. Helen says:

To me personally twitter is way more useful than facebook as it has what I need and nothing more. I love reading updates from those people I follow. However there are still a lot of bugs on twitter although rather minor ones currently.
    facebook is full of useless stuff in my opinion.

10. Melinda says:

I have had both the good and the bad of social media. I get messages from men that I don’t know wanting me to tell them where I live and other personal information. It really freaks me out. I’m a very private and quite person. I love having my Facebook as a way to stay in touch with family that lives out of state and have made some very good friends that I would of never knew otherwise. I’ve had the amazing pleasure of talking in private to your family, I’m not sure what one but after reading it I wanted to dig a hole and crawl in ..lol I get very nervous and excited so sometimes it’s hard for me to get out what I’m trying to say without sounding crazy. I do have to admit that I now use your messaging on your family Facebook as my own diary because they aren’t read..lol anyways I enjoy witter as well and have found your family very friendly and I love interacting with you. I’ve had people follow me because of Utah and I’m pretty good about following back so it’s made for some interesting dm’s from those followers that leaves me saying that I don’t know your family personally and I’m nobody special..lol they unfollow me as fast as they followed. I don’t mind though.
    I do inform my older girls the dangers of Facebook and locking their accounts up, not posting where they will be and at what time they will be there. I don’t say where I really live and neither does my older girls. It’s just not safe to do so. Thank you for all of this info.