The Dargers Visit The Browns On This Season Of TLC’s Sisterwives

Sisterwives- Brown Family

Sisterwives- Brown Family

We are looking forward to the Sisterwives new season debuting this Sunday, November 18th!  The Browns are a family for which we hold a tremendous amount of respect. Having endured much scrutiny ourselves, we understand what they have risked personally and emotionally to be so open. We met the Brown’s before they became public and knew them to be sincere, devout and devoted to their family.

We felt our own emotional trauma as the Browns realized the great fear and threat of prosecution from State authorities; this threat caused them to suffer separation from their culture and community. We also stood in admiration as they unwaveringly went forth to fight against injustice by suing the state of Utah for recourse. They did this quietly without making it about their television show or attention, simply about what is right.

The Browns have consistently put their lives under a microscope for all to see. Whether it was the challenging situation of bringing Robyn into the family as the fourth wife, the birth of a new baby, or growing up and college decisions for their children, they have handled all of this with candor and class. Their openness has challenged so many stereotypes. Families can be fragile and are never perfect but they are about unconditional love, commitment, and possibility which the Browns represent so well.

For our family, the journey becoming public began about eleven years ago, with the death of our daughter Kyra and the investigation that followed.  It became very apparent that our plural family and the stereotypes that surrounded polygamy were a factor in the investigation. We were extremely afraid of what would happen to our other children and also very angry about the biases that existed toward us simply because we were a plural family. We vowed from then on to be a force for educating people from polygamous cultures about their rights and also educating the public about whom plural families really are. We started cautiously giving presentations in Utah to our local service providers such as police officers, child services, university groups and educators. This led to further presentations in Texas, Arizona and Nevada as well.

In 2006 when Warren Jeffs showed up on the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted list, we found ourselves once again being defined nationally by someone that did not represent who we were at all. Together the four of us made a decision to open our lives further. We appeared on news programs from Anderson Cooper 360 to Larry King Live and Oprah.

Realizing we had just begun to make a difference, in 2011 we debuted our book Love Times Three, the first ever memoir of a polygamous family. While promoting the book, our family appeared on Good Morning America, 20/20 and Dr. Phil. Since that time we have averaged about one media interview per week.  It has been difficult at times to share such deeply personal experiences of our lives, but we have been touched by the outpouring of support.

More recently, our journey toward equality and understanding has taken us back to television. We will make a guest appearance this season on TLC’s Sisterwives. It was a privilege meeting up with the Browns again and we had a great time! There will likely be many similarities between the Dargers and the Browns, and there will certainly be many differences. Each family has their own unique way of facing life’s challenges. At the end of the day, remaining a strong family takes commitment and standing for those you love. We hope you will join us.

Val, Vicki, Alina and I at our daughter Laura’s wedding.

This entry was posted in News, Polygamy, Random Thoughts. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to The Dargers Visit The Browns On This Season Of TLC’s Sisterwives

1. Jody says:

Wonderful story.

2. ~B says:

Been a fan of the Sister Wives since day one. I absolutely LOVE that family! I grew up around polygamy and although it is not something my immediate family chooses to practice, I am so thankful families like you and the Browns are setting the record straight.

Just wanted to say I think you have a beautiful family!

3. Lisa says:

I think both families are very brave for your peaceful protests against the discrimination your beliefs force you to face. Stay strong and don’t let others negativity about what you are trying to do get to you. I hope the laws change soon for you all!

4. dave says:

that’s neat. I always watch Sister Wives when it is on the air.

5. Jason says:

I have much respect for the Dargers and Browns. I would love to spend some time with both families. I feel so drawn to the plural marriage lifestyle and my wife and i have decided to pursue a second wife. Only one problem. Finding the right person. Any advice?

Jason,
      Sorry, we have heard of on line sites for plural families, but I am suspicious of them. We don’t recommend it unless you are not only drawn in a spiritual way to the concept, but also to the right person. It is not for the feint of heart and a difficult process. We hope we don’t ever come across as glamorizing it or minimizing the work and commitment it takes. Having said that, we wish you blessing and love in your pursuits.

6. Kurt says:

You are fantastic to me,
    I hope some day it would be possible to have a great family like yours in my country.
    Thanks for your example.
    Warm regards.

7. Courtney says:

Your family can also be seen in the 1st season finale arriving at Robyn & Kody’s reception :) . Was that your sons band playing at the reception?

8. kait says:

I watch the Brown family.. and wish them well…
    From what the TLC show shows us through, it looks like Robin was
    a tipping point for the family, and not in a good way. What bad timing!
    I hope they manage to overcome the obstacles, because I want them to be
    happy and successful, but the Tobin/Las Vegas combination looks like might
    have been too many changes at once. I look forward to their show and hope I
    am wrong.

9. Johnnomads says:

Dear Dargers,
    Due in part to your and the Brown’s courageous public coming out, we’ve moved forward and have at least made baby steps.
    Thanks for your blog, hugs!
    Marie, Jo, and John

10. Rachel says:

Is it true that you will have your own reality show? When will it premiere? I can’t wait!

11. Chris Nystrom says:

Thanks for being on the show with the Browns. Looking forward to seeing you on it and the interactions between you and the Browns.

12. MarriedUK says:

Hello! Rumours on the web/ TLC website say that you’re going to be on your own show, called “My Three Wives”. Is this true? I really hope you do!

We don’t have our own show but do have more coming out in media and on TLC. Follow us here and on Twitter and as we find out details we will share.

13. Janni L. says:

I can’t wait until next weeks episode of Sister Wives on TLC when you all guest star on it. I am so excited I am a fan of both your families and read both your books. Can next Sunday get hear any faster.

14. Kim Nash says:

Looking foward to watching the episode tonight. I’ve lived in Las Vegas since 1967, my daughter was born & raised here…it’s not a bad place to live or raise a family. There are alot of wonderful people here. I’m hoping to meet the Brown family one of these days. If they ever want some great day trips, I could make alot of suggestions. There are some very cool, interesting spots very close to the city.

Wishing your family and the Brown’s all the best that life has to offer. Your familys are wonderful examples of what family is all about.

Kim Nash

15. missy says:

I Loved the Darger Family. I was so glad to see the Strong role that Joe is in the Family. He is the glue that holds the family together, with Gods grace and support. I am also a Brown family supporter. We are Baptist in WV, been married 20 years with 4 children. God has Blessed us always. We all watch SISTER WIVES, in our family. My kids ask a ton of questions, and I feel as if the Brown Family wanted to educate the outside world to the real meaning of Plural marriage and not the medias previous versions. God Bless the Dargers and the Browns. May God continue to Bless you behind your understanding.

16. Teresa Chagares says:

Hoping the Dargers get their own series.

17. Genielle Brown says:

I am Kody Brown’s mom, and I truly loved the show that you were on, and for the happy relationship you have with his family. God Bless you in your new series on TLC. Hope to someday meet you.

18. Catherine Suter says:

You guys have it totally together. Would you consider doing a series like the Brown family?

We are open to it but I am not sure that TLC is open to the kind of series we are committed to doing. We would want to keep it on real “reality” TV which is the positive and constructive ways we approach our life. I think TLC and conversely the public is more interested in the salacious, titillating and obtuse views of what is the American family experience.

19. APRIL says:

I WAS WONDERING IF YOUR FAMILY HAS ANY OTHER EXPERIENCES YOU ARE SHARING. I HAVE READ THE BOOK AND LOVED IT.
    THANKS

20. Tre3 says:

I have watch both families and the one thing that stands out is how your wives respect each other and their husband. There has been many times when I thought Christine and Janelle Brown were at their lost moment to be in this marriage. So sad that they were the first to come out on TV. I think if it was your family you would see a different response to the family. I don’t believe how bad Christine dislike the necklace, Kody bought her . SO many people that watch the show said hers was the most beautiful, yet she rolled her eyes at it. Sorry for u Kody if you keep her as a wife.