The Fight Is On To Protect Polygamy Laws By Emory Law Professor

I came across this interesting article about a recent distinguished Law Professors appointment to the Library of Congress. The significant thing that caught my eye is that this professor, John Witte, Jr is committed it seems to finding ways to continue to protect anti-polgyamy laws. The legal establishment knows the tide is rising and that families like ours will continue to push public awareness of the injustice of the status quo.

From Emory University, Witte, has been named to the Maguire Chair in Ethics and American History at the John W. Kluge Center of the Library of Congress. He was appointed by Librarian of Congress James H. Billington, and Witte is serving during the summer and fall of 2012. It seems that Witte thinks the constitutionality of the West’s traditional criminal prohibitions on polygamy to be “one of the hard questions just over the horizon of American family law.”

I found it interesting not that there is such a focus to defend such laws,but that they see it as such a trend to have to prepare for. You can read the entire article here

This entry was posted in Polygamy. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The Fight Is On To Protect Polygamy Laws By Emory Law Professor

1. Julie Owens says:

It occurred to me reading the article that Professor Witte might be more open-minded than you think. If anyone has the intellectual power to challenge the monogamy-only mindset, it’s you, Joe. I wouldn’t be surprised if Witte turns out to not be a champion of the anti-polygamy laws, but just an expert on them. I hope I’m right.

2. Christie Miller says:

I think Professor Witte must be an engaging and dedicated educator in order to have been “selected 10 times by Emory Law students as the Most Outstanding Professor and has won dozens of other awards and prizes for his teaching and research”.

I also did not see a personal statement of his own beliefs (as far as potentially being against polygamy) rather it seems that he is describing it’s legal history and potential future as cases are faced in the courts.

Please don’t kill the messenger, Joe, because by this esteemed Professor’s attention to the subject perhaps public opinion might be swayed towards acceptance.

“Not only must the message be correctly delivered, but the messenger himself must be such as to recommend it to acceptance.”
    Joseph Barber Lightfoot

3. Clark says:

Must be healing to hope for the best.

However, looking through the link, I observe some effort on his part to crank the case against polygamy, including false historical observations about the time line. Must be based on some source or another, but evidently selected to his bias.

I can see some evidence that polygamy was not just an “accepted” thing in ante-Christian Biblical cultures. For example, look at the story of Ruth and Boaz, clearly a cameo illustration of the sort of polygamy commanded in Leviticus, where other “near-kinsmen” who should have taken the cause of the widow declined to do so, citing the trouble they’d have with their wives. Most christian theologians are completely blind to the fact that Boaz was married man who was willing to follow a commandment in the Law of Moses, and generally smugly declare old testament polygamists as sinners violating the laws of God.

It’s pretty clear to me that Witte is just as blind, and just as determined to force his view on others.

4. Don McGlamery says:

Thanks for all that your family is doing.
    I’m hoping everything work’s out I’m
    new to this I am not Mormen but took
    my wifes sister in as my wife and her two
    boy’s it’s hard some times but with Gods
    help and knowing it the right thing to do
    all will be ok… Keep up the good work your doing
    you and your family are in our prayers..

5. Elin says:

My friend and I have enjoyed following your family’s TV show and how different you are than the Sister Wives group with Kolby, not at the helm, and appreciate knowing of the differences. My questions and seriously, is can a woman have more than one husband? If, according to what we’ve read on line, that having more than one wife enables the husband to in a pluralistic family to reach greater status with god, is there any status associated likewise for the wives?

We would be hypocritical to ask for our family arrangement without affording anyone else the same privilege. Of course a woman could have multiple husbands if she so desired. In our faith and tradition that is typically not the case however.