Why A Polygamous Marriage With My Twin Sister?

Vicki and Valerie

Plural Wife Twins at Son's Concert

We just had an article published in the UK on my marriage. For the most part, I am happy with how it turned oul, however it was not written by me in the first person the way it is presented. The first clue that I did not write it is the English spelling of some of the words. Also, the way some things are phrased is not necessarily how I would have said them. I am not that familiar with the Gaurdian, or the UK’s journalistic practices so maybe this is normal for them. Again, overall it is good and I recommend reading it. You can find the entire article here. But I am going to share some more about living with a twin sister that is also my sisterwife.

It is interesting how many people make an issue of me being married to the same man as my sister. After all, it is in the Bible!

There are some things about it that are very natural. For instance, we grew up together and already know alot about one another. There is a level of trust and understanding that is already established. That isn’t always the case with another wife you are just getting to know. Like any relationship it takes time and experience to build up that trust. Also, since we were raised by the same parents we share a lot of the same values and parenting practices. If we are having a discussion, for instance, about the way to be consistent  disciplining and training our children, Vicki and I will usually resonate with one another’s ideas.

Vicki and I also have a similar sense of humor. Sometimes I’ll crack a joke and Vicki and I will bust up laughing while Joe and Alina are scratching their heads trying to figure out what was so funny…and that makes us laugh even harder!

Everything isn’t always sunshine and roses though. We have misunderstandings and conflicts too. We try to work through these things and keep a close relationship.

One day we were invited to the neighbor’s for a birthday party. I was nine months pregnant and I thought we would walk together, both carrying our gifts and goodies. When I saw her heading out the door before I was ready to leave, I said, (sarcastically) “FINE! I guess I’ll just go later, by myself and carry this heavy tray of eclairs!” She was irritated by my tone and snapped back at me, “I hate it when you do that Val!” She stormed off to go to the party while I went straight to my bedroom, closed the door, climbed into my bed and cried. I was hurt that she reacted so harshly.

About ten minutes later Vicki was knocking softly on my door. She walked into the room saying, “I’m sorry for  snapping at you. Please come to the party with me. I can’t enjoy myself knowing you’re upset and that I hurt your feelings.”

So, I forgave her and she forgave me. Being twin sisters AND sisterwives makes it doubly important for us to keep a close relationship.

Valerie and Vicki

Twin Plural Wives at Daughter's Wedding

The next day, I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. Throughout the labor and delivery Vicki was right there by my side, helping and supporting me, along with Joe and Alina. The events of the day before were completely forgotten as we experienced the amazing feeling that always comes with bringing a child into this world.

This entry was posted in Interviews, News, Polygamy. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Why A Polygamous Marriage With My Twin Sister?

1. Sonja says:

who’s baby are you holding, I thought all of your and your sisterwives babies were older ?
    I love you webiste and can wait till I get your book.

Sonja,
      Vicki is holding our youngest, Victoria. This was in August when she was 14 months old and still nursing. She just weaned her two weeks ago. Let us know what you think after you get a hold of the book.

2. Trisha says:

I applaud your courage as a family. Keep up the good fight. You are an inspiration to all.

3. frederica says:

I read your book and i love it, it is better then watching sister wives, i saw you guys on 20/20 and thought wow another smart family. you guys are awesome i hope to be able to get to know all of you some how :)

4. John Nomads says:

Hi Joe,
    We all love the book, but wish it had more pics. I read the book out loud ( one of our family’s traditions ) to both wives and then we lent the book to friends who live in our building, to surprising acceptance.

John,
      We have had several families say they read it together and how much it helped them in talking through things and brought them closer. That is great, thank you for sharing! As for the pictures we thought it should have more, but that was ultimately the publishers decision. We have kept this blog going so that we can continue to provide more information and insight into our lives and of course will continue to share more pictures to go along with it. It still remains difficult to be so public with our lives but responses such as yours make it all worth it.

5. Michelle Simpson says:

I don’t understand why people think it is so odd to have your sister as a sisterwife. I love my sisters dearly they know me better then almost anyone. They love me unconditionally. I already know that I can live with them. So if I had a choice that’s the direction I would go. Your family is wonderful. Such a blessing from God. Keep up the good work, many will benefit from your testimony.

6. Renee says:

Well I have read both your book and the Browns as well, I have now bought my sister-in-law your book and sent it to her for Christmas I sing your praises…I so love how you truly put the family first . From the ” sharing of the kitchen” to the setting the example to your children how important it is to love your and respect each other. My husband and I have always felt that
    our every day lives should reflect our walk with Christ. I so see that in your family.